We are delighted to offer a professional longarm quilting service here at The Quilt Room in Dorking, Surrey. We are a friendly team with a wealth of experience (over 3500 quilts under our belt!) so you know your quilt is in good hands with us in our lovely purpose built studio. We have two Gammill Statler Stitchers in action which enable us to offer a fast turnaround times with short waiting lists. For those customers who need their quilt quilted really quickly we offer a priority service.
Booking your Appointment
You can book an appointment to visit us in our studio or post your quilt top to us. For further information about our longarm quilting machine and to book an appointment please call us on 01306 877307 or email us at email@example.com. Once we receive your quilt top we will have a consultation with you to discuss and go through everything. With your input and our expert guidance, we know you will be absolutely thrilled with your finished quilt.
Threads & Patterns
All our threads are 100% cotton and included within the quilting price. We offer complex and dense quilting- for this type of quilting we would discuss all your requirements before giving a quote.
We have hundreds of quilting patterns and are able to source patterns if you have a particular theme in mind. All our patterns can be enlarged or made smaller to suit your quilt top so don’t be put off by dense looking patterns as we can change the size!
We are very happy to help you with your binding and we offer a 2½in double fold straight of grain binding with mitred corners. We can either machine sew your binding to the quilt top for you to hand finish, or we can hand finish your binding for you. If you wish to use this service just let us know and we will be happy to give you a quote.
Quilt Preparation Checklist
- Do not baste your quilt – Your quilt goes on our long arm quilting machines in three separate layers so there is no need to baste.
- Trim any loose threads so darker threads won’t show under light fabric. This really does make a difference, particularly for white and contrasting quilts.
- Your backing and wadding need to be at least 4in larger on all sides. This is the ideal size we like to work with. However, if your backing is a little shorter than these measurements then do contact us to check before making any alterations to your backing.
- Trim any selvedges and press open seams on backing joins.
- It is fine to leave the selvedges on outer edges of backings as eventually they will be trimmed.
- Square up your backing.
- If your quilt is directional, pin a note indicating the top end.
- Have your quilt insured if you are posting it. This is worth doing and your post office can help you with this. When we post quilts back we always have them insured with Royal Mail Special Delivery.
- We welcome all visitors but we do advise you to book an appointment with us first. This allows us to set aside time just for you. We welcome visitors and most of the time there is someone in our studio to help you. Our longarm studio is open Mondays – Fridays but we’re happy to open up on Saturdays with prior arrangement.
Longarm Quilting Price List
The prices listed below are a guide to our edge-to-edge quilting and you will receive a full quote once we have viewed your quilt. We use high quality cotton threads which are included in the price. You can provide your own wadding or backing or we can do that for you – we sell wadding on the roll plus have a shop full of fabrics to choose your backing from! We do our very best to ensure a quick turnaround but if you need a guaranteed one week turnaround then you can take advantage of our Priority Service whereby on receipt of your quilt we will have it quilted and returned to you within a week. The cost of this service is £50.
For lovers of hand quilting we also offer a basting service. We know sometimes basting a large quilt at home can be tricky so let us take the strain out of basting so you can just enjoy the pleasure of hand quilting – prices of basting available on request. We also offer a binding service which are also available on request.
|Quilt Size||Edge to Edge Quilting|
|Cot – up to 40″ x 50″||£ 95|
|Lap – up to 60″ x 70″||£ 125|
|Single – up to 70″ x 90″||£ 155|
|Double – up to 80″ x 95″||£ 180|
|Queen – up to 90″ x 100″||£ 210|
|King – up to 110″ x 110″||£ 250|
|Super King – up to 120″ x 120″||£ 285|
A little bit about our Gammil Statler Stitchers
We were the first company in the UK to own a Gammill Statler Stitcher and we’re now lucky enough to own two state of the art Gammills. Our longarm quilting service is now entering its tenth year and is an integral part of The Quilt Room.
A Gammill Statler Stitcher is a computerised longarm quilting machine which is a unique combination of a Gammill sewing head and a powerful software program, invented and developed by Paul Statler. This means that the machine is computer guided enabling it to stitch pretty much any design including intricate patterns. The Statler Stitcher allows us to determine accurate pattern and block size, stitches per inch, repetitions of the pattern, the offset of the pattern and so much more including our own designs.
Gammill is a world wide renowned company and considered to be the ‘Rolls Royce’ of longarm machines. They have been manufacturing their own brand of quilting machines since 1979 and in the early 1980’s became the first company to develop a large throat sewing machine on tracks which could be operated from both sides. This created a massive impact on the quilting world, as it became possible to complete a quilt in a matter of hours rather than days.
Enquire about Longarm Quilting